top of page

Food you should never feed your cat or dog

We’ve all been there. We see a viral Tik Tok, Instagram Reel or YouTube short of someone feeding their pet cucumbers, courgettes or watermelon but in reality, are these good for our pets to eat?



There are several foods that you should never feed to your cat or dog, as they can be toxic and potentially harmful to their health. Here is a list of common foods to avoid:


  • Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which are toxic to both dogs and cats. Dark chocolate is especially dangerous.

  • Grapes and Raisins: These can cause kidney failure in dogs, and the exact reason is not well understood. Even small amounts can be toxic.

  • Onions and Garlic: These contain compounds that can damage red blood cells and cause anemia in both cats and dogs. Garlic is more potent than onions.

  • Xylitol: This artificial sweetener is found in many sugar-free gum, candies, and baked goods. It can cause a rapid release of insulin in dogs, leading to low blood sugar, seizures, and even death.

  • Alcohol: Even small amounts of alcohol can be toxic to pets. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, coordination problems, and, in severe cases, coma and death.

  • Caffeine: Coffee, tea, and energy drinks contain caffeine, which can lead to similar symptoms as chocolate poisoning.

  • Cooked Bones: Cooked bones can splinter and cause intestinal blockages or tears. This includes poultry bones and other small bones.

  • Fatty Foods: Foods high in fat, like bacon, butter, and fried foods, can cause pancreatitis in pets. This can be a painful and life-threatening condition.

  • Milk and Dairy: Many pets are lactose intolerant, which means they can't properly digest dairy products and may experience digestive upset.

  • Raw Meat and Fish: These can carry harmful bacteria like Salmonella or E. coli, and parasites like Toxoplasma, which can be dangerous for both pets and humans.

  • Nuts: Macadamia nuts, can be toxic to dogs and cause weakness, vomiting, and other symptoms.

  • Avocadoes: Avocado contains a substance called persin, which can be toxic to pets, especially birds, rabbits, and some large animals.

  • Almonds: Almonds are not toxic to dogs in small amounts, but they can be a choking hazard and high in fat, leading to digestive issues.

  • Mushrooms: Some mushrooms are toxic to pets and can cause various symptoms, including organ failure.

  • Artificial Sweeteners: Besides xylitol, other artificial sweeteners like aspartame can be toxic to pets if ingested in large quantities.

  • Fruit Pits and Seeds: Pits and seeds from fruits like cherries, apricots, and peaches can contain cyanide, which is toxic to dogs and cats.

  • Corn on the Cob: The cob can cause blockages in a pet's digestive system if ingested.

  • Spices: Spices like nutmeg and cinnamon can be toxic in large amounts and can cause nausea, tremors, or seizures.

It's important to remember that the sensitivity to these foods can vary between individual animals and their size, age, and overall health. If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, contact your vet immediately for guidance. Prevention is the best approach, so it's wise to keep these harmful foods out of your pet's reach.


P.S you can feed your cats and dogs cucumbers, courgettes or watermelon - just take off the rind and pips from your watermelon to prevent choking.







20 views
bottom of page